Friday, March 27, 2015

Playing:

Playing:

I do have a habit of buying something and then not unwrapping it for some time. I usually feel that things have to make their way gently into their new space. Not this time. I arrived home from the Seattle Show and next morning my Granddaughter and I found places for all but one purchase.

Fatima bought me this delicate doll from Bobbi Johnson, she has a porcelain face and arms.  I thought she would go into the children's room but Granddaughter #1 correctly decided she should be in the Empire Room.





The fire has burned down to its embers. Cleo, the cat, is checking the remnants of a midnight picnic - did that naughty cat knock over the glass? The electricity magically began to work so I was able to put a fire into the fireplace. This was done by using the base of Orange TicTac's with a light bulb placed into a hole drilled into the back of the box. This was then painted and cellophane paper crushed to create more of a glow. Elizabeth at http://www.studioeminiatures.blogspot.ca bought our attention to this technique when she created her fireplace in her living room.



Sometimes a small project takes more time than expected.  Does that sound familiar? It was not difficult to chop the wood for the basket but at each chop the piece would go flying off, never to be found again.  Wine glasses and decanter on tray by Janet Uyetake.



I did tell you about the single pea and other veggies that I bought from  TwinHeart minis. It is difficult to get a photo but I hope you can see the fully formed peas nestled inside the pod. The parsnip has gone missing.  I cannot remember if I put it somewhere to keep safe, obviously I will have to defer vacuuming until it is found.




The final photo is of a gift of a planter from Elizabeth.  Is it a hint to get on with my perimeter garden ... perhaps ...
A grotesque keeps vigil over a broken pot while the little plant bravely blooms on.  If you look closely at Elizabeth's current post you will see this very pot. The grotesque was found many years ago, a topper for a dollar store stamp.  It takes so long to go anywhere! I have to look closely at everything to see if there is any possibility of a miniature treasure.



All will be quiet on this blog for a while. Think of me as I spend long evenings hovering over the computer searching for specific book title covers to reduce for the salon library wall. Who knows when I may emerge.

regards Janine



17 comments:

  1. When I arrive home from a show, I unwrap everything, look at it and then put it away until I find a space for it =0P Such a shame but it's good that you found a home for your new purchases. The doll is so sweet. Did you make the beatiful cushion in the first picture? I love the red fabric =0)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pepper, Yes, I did make the maroon and gold striped pillow. I had a small sample from Bruce's office (architecture/interior design). Before the staff would clear the samples room they would call for me to look at the items they were ready to clear, I would take my pick, keep some, deliver some deconstructed books to la local school for crafts etc.
      Generally the fabrics were too stiff or out of scale to use in miniatures but I did collect a few gems.
      Janine

      Delete
  2. WOW Janine! I LOVE the fire in the fireplace!!! What a difference it makes to the room and the entire room is changed as a result. The tiny doll is Perfect for the bed and is just one more lovely detail to your Home In Provence!
    I had forgotten that I gave you that cracked pot.
    Love the look of the wire urns; yet another perfect Seattle Show Score!!! :D

    Good luck with binding your 200 mini book, only think of me tearing and pasting countless egg carton rocks onto the 3rd side of my cottage, as you do. :))

    elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Janine
    Not only are your rooms and artifacts quite amazing, but your photography shows them off so beautifully. I'd like to take lessons from you (and Bruce, I think) in photography. Hope to see you soon. Off to Bora Bora on Tueday - I;m sure you've been there.
    Cheers, Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Linda, Have a wonderful time in Bora Bora. Yes, we did sail through the reef into Bora Bora. We rented bicycles and circled the island, took a picnic and bought baguettes. Look for the pearl sellers as you ride.
      Perhaps you will stay at one of the accommodations that sit on stilts in the water?
      Janine

      Delete
  4. Hi Janine! Your house is amazing! Very special! I agree that your photography is excellent and it certainly helps in showing off your rooms to perfection. All the little details are so clear. I always love looking at your rooms! Good luck with your huge book project!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Goof Morning Lucille, So nice to hear from you. I am already feeling discouraged about the book making. Looking for full jacket covers of specific books is not as easy to find as I thought. It may be a long term project. That makes me laugh as the house has been ongoing since 1991.
      Janine

      Delete
  5. Hello Janine,
    What a beautiful room. Very elegant yet warm and comfortable. The glowing embers in the fireplace certainly add to that atmospere.
    When I come home from a show I usually unpack everything and put it all on a large tray which I then keep in the middle of the table for at least a week to enjoy all of my finds. Then I start adding them to my scenes.
    Good luck with your next project of miniaturizing the book covers. That is so much work, but it does look wonderful when you have full bookcases. I rather like the idea of the books reflecting some of your interests, showing a bit of who you are. But that is rather ambitious as I have found out.
    I'm going to do some more browsing on your blog. I just spotted a few photos on link within which I think I have not seen before.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a pretty doll! Your room is gorgeous and yes I see the pea peeking out at me. lol
    Please don't stay away too long, because you will be missed!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Janine! I really love your room! The fireplace just adds to the already warm glow.

    Once you find your parsnip, you'll get to vacuum up all those little wood logs. I spent much of my morning looking for a faucet handle. Seems to go with the territory!

    I am excited to see your library with all those little books.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The doll is beautiful, I actually didn't realise it was 1:12 scale at first. And the room looks fantastic. And love that wire basket and grotesque. I feel your pain about finding those book covers, always takes longer than one thinks... :/ I will be thinking of you :D x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Janine,
    What great pictures! the doll is beautiful and I love the fireplace effect. your rooms always tell a story and I love them. Have fun making the books...but don't stay away too long please ;)
    Big hug,
    Giac

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have always Loved your Empire Room! And the doll is just perfect for it too! Very clever of your granddaughter.... she must have minis in her blood! Those mini mini peas are too incredible! What wonderful additions you found!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Janine
    The doll looks great right there on the cushion..I think granddaughter #1 has good taste. I love the embers in the fireplace. What a wonderful look! Fit for the emperor himself!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What lovely purchases. Granddaughter picked the perfect spot.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This room is gorgeous! I love that you have those big pillows on the floor. It's like a styled magazine photo shoot. Awesome!
    hugs♥,
    Caroline

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my gosh! Is that a miniature doll house? I can't imagine the work that goes into this!

    I wanted to thank you for coming to Marmelade Gypsy and leaving such a lovely comment! I'm now a new follower, so though you say in this post you are off for awhile, I hope you'll be back soon!

    ReplyDelete