Hi, Hope you had a lovely Sunday. Where we live near Vancouver BC, temperatures are still cold. Certainly above freezing so not insufferably cold but the garden has a long way to go till Spring. The snow drops, camellias and aconites are blooming and today I notice the tete-te-tete daffodils beginning to unfurl and that makes me happy!
I thought I would settle into my little workroom to try and work through the list of things to do in the mini house. I had been trying to decide on a rug to use in front of the sink. After a short sojourn on Instagram I noticed what was named as a “Swedish antique Kilim”. I was surprised as it did not fit the image of patterns I associated with Sweden.
I had a silk rug that had a similar pattern. I measured and cut onto paper the size that I thought would suit and tried it out in front of the sink.
The central pattern on the silk rug matched the size I needed. To stabilize the silk threads I pushed pins through from the front to mark the correct edge of the front pattern. I applied white glue on the back to capture the threads. Once that was dry I cut very close to the edge of the pattern.
The picture above is closer to the colour than the lower pictures. The “rug” is displayed on white paper not pink!
The incorrect colour but this is the section that forms the new rug.
This morning the Mistress of the house was awake early to make cinnamon buns and bread. TheMaster and visitors headed out to catch seafood for dinner.
Below you can see the stove, now complete. A guard rail helps keep small hands off the hot surfaces and will possible hold other items. The new kilim is in position in front of the sink.
The Mistress has now put the dough to rest and raise. She had made a cup of tea using the Monique Juvenal teapot, cup and saucer with her feet supported by the little heart footstool for a few quiet moments. The teapot, cup and saucer are painted with delicate flowers.
I have mentioned before but it may be helpful to know that most of my displays are waxed into position using Museum Wax on acrylic sheets. Anna asked me what I used. Fatima bought a supply and kindly shared it with Elizabeth and me. The acrylic is from packaging . In this way I can slide the display onto a table or shelf and then just as easily remove it.
Another small thing in the list was to paint oars - these from a Playmobile dinghy. You will see them displayed elsewhere in due course.
You may notice the wire at the top of the range hood ... this is for two LED’s installed under the range hood. I will tell you of our experiences with installing LED lights .... very soon.